Subway
My friend Tyler is so impatient, at the deli counter he orders his cold cuts thick to save time.
"Cocksucker," he breathed, as we stepped out of the R train. An N train had just shut its doors across the platform and sat there punishingly, just long enough to make its taunt obvious even to someone who doesn't look for the worst in all things (me). Even so, I played the devil's advocate. "They're trying to meet their schedules." He scoffed at me. I don't usually ride the train with Tyler.
Twenty minutes prior, I was putting on my pants. The word Tyler was not even in my vocabulary. But by virtue of a pretty ineffective head-hiding tactic (I am not a turtle), here we were.
By now both trains had left; it got real quiet and everybody started looking at each other and trying to guess where they were going. Book publisher. City Hall. Wherever Jared Letos go. One look at me and it was obvious I was in the business of looking like I didn't know the guy that I was with. "Those are some pants," said Tyler, leaning off the platform, looking for the next train.
He had created a domino effect on hopefuls behind him, leaning out further to see whether he had actually spotted something, or was just impatient. I came up in front of him like "What's that supposed to mean" but he played it cool and just leaned further, looking around me. I suspected he was also trying to make a subtle statement that I was in the way. But as he leaned further, behind him, they leaned further. And suddenly a little guy with earmuffs fell onto the tracks.
"Oh no!" There was real panic in his voice. Before I knew it Tyler was out of his coat and he was dangling it to the little guy. "The third rail, don't touch the third rail," it was shameless. He hoisted the little guy up and before he could say "boo" everyone surrounded them and started shaking Tyler's hand. If they had given him the chance he probably would have said "boo." Or at least "Those are some earmuffs." I think I was the only person there who knew the real reason he came to the rescue.
I didn't see how it turned out, I took the next local train, but that's how Tyler got to be friends with Jared Leto. I beat him to work.
"Cocksucker," he breathed, as we stepped out of the R train. An N train had just shut its doors across the platform and sat there punishingly, just long enough to make its taunt obvious even to someone who doesn't look for the worst in all things (me). Even so, I played the devil's advocate. "They're trying to meet their schedules." He scoffed at me. I don't usually ride the train with Tyler.
Twenty minutes prior, I was putting on my pants. The word Tyler was not even in my vocabulary. But by virtue of a pretty ineffective head-hiding tactic (I am not a turtle), here we were.
By now both trains had left; it got real quiet and everybody started looking at each other and trying to guess where they were going. Book publisher. City Hall. Wherever Jared Letos go. One look at me and it was obvious I was in the business of looking like I didn't know the guy that I was with. "Those are some pants," said Tyler, leaning off the platform, looking for the next train.
He had created a domino effect on hopefuls behind him, leaning out further to see whether he had actually spotted something, or was just impatient. I came up in front of him like "What's that supposed to mean" but he played it cool and just leaned further, looking around me. I suspected he was also trying to make a subtle statement that I was in the way. But as he leaned further, behind him, they leaned further. And suddenly a little guy with earmuffs fell onto the tracks.
"Oh no!" There was real panic in his voice. Before I knew it Tyler was out of his coat and he was dangling it to the little guy. "The third rail, don't touch the third rail," it was shameless. He hoisted the little guy up and before he could say "boo" everyone surrounded them and started shaking Tyler's hand. If they had given him the chance he probably would have said "boo." Or at least "Those are some earmuffs." I think I was the only person there who knew the real reason he came to the rescue.
I didn't see how it turned out, I took the next local train, but that's how Tyler got to be friends with Jared Leto. I beat him to work.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home